Thursday, January 13, 2011

Welcome to Nancy Borchers

Nancy will be writing for us from the Idyllwild 2011: Independent Festival of Cinema. this is her first posting.


Overindulgence at the Idyllwild International Film Festival 2011


The Idyllwild International Film Festival started today and I went down to get my ticket since this was the first day I could get it off line. I’ve been looking forward to this for months. I wanted to volunteer this year but family, travel and illness prevented me from helping. This year, Sallie Warwick of Pine Cove is attending most of the films with me. She has connections to the film industry and added insight to the ones we saw last year. I love listening to her assessments of the quality of acting, photography and professionalism of each film.

I spent a lot of time last week reading the synopses of the films to be shown. I really don’t like too much gore. Steve Savage’s film “Legacy” last year was just about my limit. I appreciated the sensitivity he showed in letting our imaginations fill in the extremely bloody parts. The raised knife coming down on the hapless victim hidden behind the log made us cringe and gasp. Terrific!! I also avoid films that make fun of my religion and God. Luckily I’m not a radical Islamic who feels behooved to go after filmmakers like Theo Van Gogh. I just choose not to see them.

Since the films are shown at least twice, I spent several hours last week charting which film I could put off till later in the festival so I could have a gap for lunch. “Honey Bunns and Joe” is really close so we went over there for a great Rustic Cream of Tomato Soup served with a homemade scone. They are serving free coffee to all Festival goers.

Monday was especially difficult. I wanted to see all the films shown. My friends rightly laugh at how concerned I am about having the time to eat between films. Annamarie Padula brought Sallie and me a big plate of homemade ribs to eat on the opening night right after the film, “Hiroshima / Nagasaki Download”. We were planning to eat the ribs at the cute little tables in front of the theater but it was too cold so we went over to the Wine Shoppe Bistro in the Village Center group of shops and they graciously allowed us to eat them there. We accompanied them with a great bottle of wine. Annamarie makes the best ribs!!!

We went back to the theater and ended our day with the film “The Rock and Roll Dreams of Duncan Christopher”, the eighth and best film we had seen. It was billed as an “awkward comedy” and really lived up to it. The acting, cinematography, writing and story line were all so good that Sallie wondered why it hadn’t been in regular release. This was a great first day of the Festival and I’m looking forward to the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment