Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nancy Borchers: Day 3 IIFC

Overindulgence at the Idyllwild Independent Festival of Cinema 2011

(There, I finally got the official title right. I apologize for taking so long.)

Wednesday morning finally came and I could play "catch-up” for the films I missed Monday and Tuesday morning. The Commodity Food Share was scheduled for today and I always work packing boxes so that makes for a busy day. I get a real work out carrying boxes of canned food to distribute. This is a community effort and there is always a lot of help.

We started back at the Rustic Theater at noon after packing boxes a lot of very heavy groceries for the Community Food Share. I was tired, sore, and ready to sit down and enjoy what the Film Festival had to offer.

“Coyote Hunt” was way too short. I can watch Director Melissa Townsend’s work all day. I enjoyed her “Poet Soldier” last year and was especially anticipating her work this year. I realize that to be a “short” there are some very rigid time constraints. I loved “Coyote Hunt” and it left me wanting more.

We saw “Cut From Home” next and up until the last 30 minutes it was interesting though hard to follow. I’d like the writers of this film to know that there are other words in the English language besides “F**k”. I understand the use of that word to develop the crudeness and lack of education in their characters. It is not necessary to continue the use after this has been established. Or maybe the writers don’t know any others.

The next film “The Vern” was ok but needed a bit more editing.

We had a terrific lunch at Cafe Aroma and talked to Hubert Halkin. He had some really astute insight as to why so many of the great businesses in town were closed today. We had some time between films and wanted to go shopping and get a snack. The places we wanted to go were either open late or closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. I can understand a shop being closed these days during a regular week but when out-of-towners are flocking to the Festivals that we seem to be having more and more often, it doesn’t seem to make good business sense. We had to be content with “window shopping”.

I had to go to the CSA 38 meeting in Pine Cove so I had to put off two films I really wanted to see. Luckily I will get to see them on Saturday and Friday. I have two meetings to go to on Friday but there is little conflict and I can catch the film on Saturday. I’m so glad there is more than one showing of most films. Idyllwild is a very busy place if you want to do good works or be civic minded. It is so nice to see such community involvement even during spectacular events such and this Film Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment