Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nancy Borchers: Day 2 IIFC

I got off to a late start the second day of the Idyllwild International Film Festival 2011. My water heater went out and Chris Rockwell of Idyllwild Appliance fixed it this morning. Sallie had to wait for an unnamed media company to come and fix some of their errors this morning so we didn’t get to start until afternoon.

I’ve got the films charted so we can see the morning ones on Wednesday and Saturday.

I even had time to do some shopping. There were a lot of folks in the stores. I hope they had as much luck in finding what they wanted as I did. My son really likes hats so I get him one for his birthday every year. Woolies has a great selection so I’ve gotten his hat there for the last three years.

Monday was so much fun. The director, writer, producer of “Finding Jenua”, Alison Mason, is such an upbeat, down to earth, cheerful person. She is so enthusiastic it really was a delight to talk with her before the film. Sallie wondered how she could come up with such a dark character in her film. Alison graciously gave credit to all the cast members and those who were instrumental to getting her film to this world premiere. You just get caught up in her enthusiasm.

I really enjoyed the attending the talks and question and answer sessions after the films. Justin Monroe, the director of “The Rock and Roll dreams of Duncan Christopher” led a lively discussion with two of the movers and shakers of his film that kept us laughing long after the film was over. “When Art met Idyllwild : A Tribute to Lora W. Steere” director Paris Deesing was so self effacing that the audience had to demand that she join Mrs. Steere’s granddaughter on the stage to discuss her film. She did this very impressive work in a very short time. What a promise this young director is.

One of the very good films in the evening has “property of Osirus Films” printed at the bottom of the screen for the whole film. Steve Savage apologized for this profusely but I am an inveterate reader and I read that over and over again during the film. I just couldn’t help myself. It must be a compulsion, which was more annoying than the actual print.

Yesterday we got to see eight films and today we planned to see only four. Unfortunately we only saw parts of two. There were script problems and then a sound problem that finally got fixed but the fix was so loud that my ears hurt. There was still an hour to the end of the film when we had to leave. There were two shorter films afterward but we really didn’t want to wait that hour to see them. I’m hoping for a better day tomorrow. The Rustic Theater’s projectionist, Ivan, will be an actor in one of them and I’m looking forward to seeing more local talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment