Saturday, January 15, 2011

Nancy Borchers: Day 5 IIFC

Overindulgence at the Idyllwild Independent Festival of Cinema 2011

Friday was a busy day. I met Sallie at the Caine Learning Center just in time to see that delightful short “Libby Girl: On Line”. The published schedule has been taking a beating since some films aren’t being shown and the crew has to juggle times so it’s a surprise sometime what is shown on the screen.

It is not a problem though, and we got to see “Lora Steere” again. I got to see some things I missed the first time. We then rushed over to the Rustic Theater to see “Gut to Go”, “Mystical Fire”, and “Happy Birthday To Me”. The Scenery in “Mystical Fire” was terrific. Sally was sure it was filmed in Montana and I was just as sure it was in our local deserts. We were both right.

Why do some of these filmmakers take themselves so seriously and act like they are God’s gift to film making when they have just offered a poorly filmed, poorly acted incomprehensible and hopefully totally forgettable film? They stand up there at the Q&A and strut as if they just showed you “Gone With the Wind” on Super 8 “because it is more real”. Won’t someone in their entourage or family tell them how bad their stuff is? Most of the time criticism is helpful and appreciated and the filmaker can use it to do better. After seeing some of these films I really hope the makers don’t quit their day jobs and their parents don’t go broke.

After that, Sallie and I went to the Gastrognome with Eric of the “The Vern” and Janet Mayson, maker of “Libby Girl: Online”. We had a great time talking to these very talented people. They are both intelligent, analytical people that have great insight into the art and business of filmmaking. I hope to see more of their work in the future. I really enjoyed Melissa Townsend’s film. She,returned this year with another good film and I would like to see some more work of many of this year’s filmmakers.

Today is the last day of the Festival and I really have to “play catch up”. I had to go to two meetings yesterday and these obligations played havoc with my film viewing ambitions. I’m on the board of the Idyllwild Area Historical Society and have learned from the information provided there that many good actors have made films here.

I was thinking that it would be fun to see some of them. Several years ago the Rustic Theater played host to a film company’s version of Kid Galahad, an Elvis film that was made here and the theater was packed.

This reminds me how much I love the Rustic Theater. Shane Stewart’s improvements have just added to my enjoyment. It’s not just seeing my friends at the showings, but the Pine Craft furniture in the lobby, the friendliness of the staff, and the general ambience and the sense of community. Do you get the impression that I spend a lot of time there? This is just a small part of Greater Idyllwild, one of the most delightful places on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment