Saturday, January 12, 2013

Friday Festival: ICF Day 3 getting better

By Nancy Borchers

This was a really hard day to schedule. I had a meeting at 4 p.m., which I did not want to miss. Then there was no time for dinner. Annamarie solved that since she and Lou had a gap in the films they wanted to see. She went home and made a dinner to share with Sallie and me. The Rustic Theater let us dine in splendor in the lobby.

We started with "Tortoise In Love" at the Rustic Theater.  Ashley Stewart, bless her, calls out just before each showing to prevent us from falling over each other as the lights dim in the theater. "Tortoise In Love" was spectacular. I can’t think of enough wonderful things to say about this film.

It takes place in a small community in England, Kingston bag Pewize. The lead reminded us of Hugh Grant except that he is better looking and taller. All the production details were terrific. It was very easy to watch: sound, color, camera work were very professional.

I loved the plot which was quite believable. I loved the stunning location. I loved the villagers. Steffan Aquarone handled the Questions and Answers after the showing and took us on another fascinating journey around the village with all the details of production and interaction with the villagers and moviemaking in England.  I really learned a lot.

He said that there are three other films in the works and I want to see them all.  At the end I couldn’t help but think that our village has fallen short of the joy and cooperation that these people have achieved. Their camaraderie is something to be aspired to and admired. The director, Guy Browning, is an author of note and I plan on reading his works.

We watched the shorts and noticed how the graphics and title work has improved over these last four years. I especially liked the crawl at the end of "Bunglers," which was very entertaining. "Bookstore" showed promise and "A Timely Maneuver" had a clever plot.

Sallie and I went over to Astro Camp to see "Montezuma’s Treasure." We got there early and sneaked in just to be horrified by the gore and blood of "Abram’s Hand."  I think it is rude to pop in and out of theaters during the showing but when two patrons left, I sneaked out with them. I figured it was better to be in 28 degree weather than inflict nightmares on myself.

I then had the stupidity to watch ALL of "Montezuma." The Theater was cold, the seats were uncomfortable and then there was the film. Ninety minutes of poor sound, photography, continuity and endless repetition of the same dialog, information or whatever it was. By the time we left, I was cold, irritated and crippled from a numb rear.

I went off to my meeting and after that, I returned to the Rustic Theater to the wonderful meal provided by Annamarie. We then saw "Siberia Monamour" which was not a typical Russian movie: not everyone died. Almost but not everyone. I didn’t mind at all because the film was so beautifully done. The sets and cinematography overshadowed the grim story line.

"How Do You Write a Joe Schermann Song" was the perfect way to end the day. It was, like "Tortoise In Love" and "Siberia Monamour," a professional film and almost as good, though I don’t think anything can catch "Tortoise."

The films get better each day. I’m looking forward to Saturday and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment